24 August 2010

The Valley

http://image.absoluteastronomy.com/images/encyclopediaimages/g/gl/glacial_valley_mthoodwilderness.jpg

Valley.

In geology, a valley or dale is a depression with predominant extent in one direction. A very deep river valley may be called a canyon or gorge.

Webster defines a valley as: an elongate depression of the earth's surface usually between ranges of hills or mountains; a low point or condition.

http://www.yosemitefun.com/tarheel/images/night_valley232small.jpg

Do you ever find yourself going through some sort of valley time...but don't feel the liberty to expound on it's makeup? That is where I find myself today. The road to this valley has SO many facet's, it's hard to pinpoint the start of the decline. But in here, it's jagged, dingy, random pebbles and rocks that will cause an even further stumble. I do see the daylight as I stare up to the crest of the next height. Not sure what it will take to begin the ascent, I look around. Pondering. Dreaming. Questioning. But most of all, praying.... seeking direction from the only ONE that can truly guide.

But today. Today I need the reminder to KEEP seeking...praying....resting.

While here, I have begun to see that I don't want this time to be for naught. So I dig. I am digging, like Isaac's servants....for some FRESH water in this valley. I pray that my perspective is well enough that I find it. (Genesis 26:19 Isaac's servants dug in the valley and discovered a well of fresh water there.)

http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/010/cache/khumbu-valley_1033_600x450.jpg

We seem to often associate the valley with something hard or negative. But as I was searching through scripture, I cam upon some positive references to valleys:Psalm 65:13, Psalm 84:6, Psalm 104:8, Isaiah 28:4. That is just the surface. This may be a wonderful topic for further study at some point.

http://www.daviddarling.info/images/U-shaped_valley.gif

But for now, I leave you with lyrics to this song by Jard of Clay, which has been resonating with me of late...

And if you've stuck with me this far...a question.
What does a valley look like/mean to you?


Valley Song Lyrics (click to play)

You have led me to the sadness
I have carried this pain
On a back bruised, nearly broken
I'm crying out to you

Chorus
I will sing of Your mercy
That leads me through valleys of sorrow
To rivers of joy

When death like a Gypsy
Comes to steal what I love
I will still look to the heavens
I will still seek your face

But I fear you aren't listening
Because there are no words
Just the stillness and the hunger
For a faith that assures

Alleluia, alleluia
Alleluia, alleluia

While we wait for rescue
With our eyes tightly shut
Face to the ground using our hands
To cover the fatal cut

And though the pain is an ocean
Tossing us around, around, around
You have calmed greater waters
Higher mountains have come down

Yeah

Alleluia, alleluia
Alleluia, alleluia
Mercy. Your mercy

3 comments:

Stacie@HobbitDoor said...

Interesting thought. As I'm sure you can understand, I am right there with you in my own valley of sorts. Being out here has given me a different perspective on valleys, though. I am seeing these beautiful lush valleys like the verses you posted described.

I am constantly reminded of Ps 121:1--I look up to the hills/mtns and am reminded to look up to the Lord for my help. In some ways, aren't we always in a valley compared to where God is? He is always up and we are down. Not sure if that makes sense to anyone but me, but it's been helpful.

I am being redirected to think the valley is not bad. It can be restful, peaceful, healing and good. Not really been feeling it lately but I know feelings are not always so reliable.

Praying for your valley time to accomplish in you what God desires for you--if it helps I can see Him working from here. :)

Celia Emmons said...

How did I not know you had a blog?! Anyhoo... this was a great post. I hate to be dramatic, but I feel like my valley has been most of my life. I always struggle with depression, and despite the good things in my life, I can't climb high enough to feel better. Unless I am on my little happy pill that I take every day! I seriously thank God for anti depressants every single day. (And my family probably does, too!)

Kristi said...

Stacie: Thank you <3

Celia: Your honesty is awesome...thanks for sharing a bit of yourself here, and I'm so thankful that God is there - even in the valley ;)